Friday, January 18, 2019

January 18

Teacher Message: Your child should be reading daily. The book that they are reading at home should show them reading it fairly confidently, showing decoding skills and demonstrating some fluency. Always open the reading strategies listed inside the Data Book when you read. You can use these and review them with your child. The one strategy that serves kids quite well is - taking a smart guess on the unknown word, reading on and returning to the word. This is a sign of comprehension and independence in reading. Beside actually reading the words, comprehension is also important. After reading, can your child remember what happened in the story? was there a problem? Solution?  how did the characters feel in the story? Comprehension and fluency/decoding are both very important in making a great reader. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Phys. Ed - We have begun Gymnastics.  Some goals for Gymnastic are: following clear expectations for safety, explore how our bodies move (locomotor skills-rolling and Non-locomotor skill-bending etc.), and working with a group.
A reminder that your child should be wearing comfortable clothes to move in. Girls may want to tie back long hair. No dangling jewelry. If your child has sores/cuts/warts on their feet, they need to wear their indoor shoes. If not, they can go bare feet. Girls please don't wear dresses/skirts unless you wear shorts or pants under.









Kananaskis In The Classroom - Today we say a presentation on the life cycle of the butterfly? 
Can you child answer: 
What are the four stages of the butterfly? (egg/caterpilar/crhysalis/butterfly or moth)
What are the 3 body parts of an insect? (head/thorax/abdomen)
What body part does a butterfly taste with? (feet)
What part does it eat with? (proboscis) 
What group does the butterfly and moth come from? (lepidoptera)
How many legs does an insect have? (6)

Can you sing the butterfly song (goes to tune of Head Shoulder Knees and Toes)
Head
Thorax
Ambdomen
Wings

Antennae
Proboscis
'slurp'
































... in class presentation too


















 ... love when kids independently show their understanding!

VERBS AND NOUNS - This week we have worked on identifying a verb and a noun. We have been acting out verbs in class (to really get the understanding that a 'verb' is the action that the noun does.) See some of our review below.

We also circled the verbs in our poems. Most students were able to identify the verbs. Ask your child if they can identify the verbs in their poem below. 

Mathletics







Reading Poetry - We are working on reading our poem out loud with a clear, rich voice, making sure to pause at the comma. Review the comma symbol and practice reading your poem in a clear, rich voice (we learned the new word - orotund)




DOG
By Madelyn and Amelia

Gentle dog, licks me on my face and tickles me too
Gentle dog, wonders away to the park and comes back to me
Fierce dog, charges at me with his sharp teeth

Fierce dog, running at me to bite my arm off



DOG
By Callum and Ainsley

Gentle dog, licks my face
Gentle dog, whimpers at me
Fierce dog, showing his sharp teeth at me
Fierce dog, charging at me



DOG
By Julia and Noah

Gentle dog, licks my hand – it loves me
Gentle dog, whines to me to go for a walk
Fierce dog, fighting other dogs and biting
Fierce dog, charging me because it is extremely mad




DOG
By Matthew and Millie

Gentle dog, crawling slowly on the zebra carpet
Gentle dog, licking my face to kiss me
Fierce dog, charging at a scared kid
Fierce dog, growling with his sharp teeth at me





DOG
By Sarah (and Mrs. Maze)

Gentle dog, nuzzling me on the couch
Gentle dog, whimpering when he got his little paw hurt
Fierce dog, charging me to the ground
Fierce dog, biting aggressively on a meaty bone


DOG
By Stanley and Maya

Gentle dog, licking me with love
Gentle dog, crying because he misses me
Fierce dog, biting me one time. That was not good
Fierce dog, charging at me




DOG
By Sam and Wyatt

Gentle dog, licks me and it tickles me
Gentle dog, crawls on the floor
Fierce dog charges at me. It was scary
Fierce dog slobbers on me





DOG
By Isabella and Margaret

Gentle dog, the dog likes licking me
Gentle dog, the dog is wondering where her bone is
Fierce dog, the dog likes to charge me
Fierce dog, bite off my hand




DOG
By Will and AJ

Gentle dog, licking me on my 7 year old face
Gentle dog, whimpered for food
Fierce dog, shook with fearsomeness
Fierce dog, biting my hand




DOG
By Victoria and Max

Gentle dog, whines for food
Gentle dog, licks four people seven times
Fierce dog, bites a scared kid
Fierce dog, slobbers on the floor





DOG
By Jaiden and Kaden

Gentle dog, licks our hands
Gentle dog, sleeps on me
Fierce dog, charges at my crying baby
Fierce dog, looking at me with his big sharp teeth





DOG
By Isabella and Margaret

Gentle dog, likes licking me
Gentle dog, wondering where her bone is
Fierce dog, likes to charge me
Fierce dog, bites my hand off






DOG
By Oliver and Evera

Gentle dog, curling around me when I rub her soft back
Gentle dog, chewing politely on her green crocodile
Fierce dog, snarling wildly at the annoying garbage truck
Fierce dog, barking and flashing her sharp teeth through the fence




Kids reading poetry -







SCHEDULE: 

January 25 - Movin' And Munchin' 10:45 - 11:30 in the Gym - (We will move to these student's songs- Evera, Sarah, Millie and Stanley)
January 28 - January 31 - Skating 
January 31 - Report Cards Go Home
January 31 (Leader In Me Assembly - am)
February 1 - No School (in lieu of Remembrance Day)














No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from students and parents. Post your positive comments and questions.

End Of Year

What a fantastic year! I am very proud of each student! It has been a great year with a focus on how we can be healthy. I hope (at least) o...